Monday, February 20, 2012

My New Kitchen Toy

I decided I NEEDED a Dutch Oven. Oh yes, I said need. I don't even know why ~ I don't have anywhere to store it. Does anyone really have extra space to store all their kitchen gadgets? Noooooooooo.


Here it is my beautiful Lodge Dutch Oven. I christened it with my New England Clam Chowder recipe.

Ingredients
4 cups (32oz.) Kitchen Basics® Original Seafood Stock
1 medium onion, minced
4 Tbsp. butter or margarine
5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 can (6.5 oz.) minced clams with juice (I used 2 cans)
3-4 potatoes, peeled and diced medium
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1 ½ cups half &half
Salt and white pepper to taste
4-5 slices bacon (not included on original recipe)

DirectionsIn a heavy bottom pot, (cook bacon until crisp, remove bacon), sauté onions in bacon grease and butter until clear. Add flour and cook until all butter is absorbed. Add stock slowly, stirring to incorporate. Add clams with juice and potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 6 minutes. Add half & half; stir until thickness you desire. Season to taste.

I used 2 cans of minced clams and fat free half & half

Everything is better with BACON
Remove crispy bacon ~ add onion and butter
Add flour ~ let it absorb butter and cook a few minutes
Use small cubes of potatoes so they will cook faster ~ Add seafood stock then potatoes
Simmer and allow potatoes to cook before adding half and half
Add half and half ~ be patient and allow chowder to thicken!
 That is it. I like mine topped with bacon crumbles, oyster crackers and Tabasco. No, not hot sauce, TABASCO. It is a very distinct flavor and adds the right amount of spice.
Printable version
ENJOY!!
Karey

1 comment:

  1. This recipe was delicious! I did end up adding celery, and of course mushrooms and garlic because those are a staple in my house. Thanks for the recipe Babe-O! :) Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete